ST. FRANCIS

Father John Robotti founded Saint Francis of Assisi Church, the first Italian Church in the city of Auburn in the year 1907 under the direction of the first Bishop of Rochester Diocese, Bernard J. McQuaid.  Times were difficult and the Italians were few, but in 1908 the first Italian Church in Auburn was completed. Since this time the church has seen many wonderful priests, whom, through their gifts served the people in an unselfish and self-sacrificing manner.  The parish increased and with its growth new buildings were built.  Presently there are 940 families and the parish is growing into a more diverse community while keeping their Italian heritage alive.

Saint Francis of Assisi is a welcoming and generous community who gives back to its extended community.  Saint Francis of Assisi community is priest centered and orthodox in its

practice of the Roman Catholic faith. They are a strong faith community with many devotions to Mary. They take great pride in the construction of Our Lady of Lourdes Shrine. The Shrine stands next to the left of the Church, and is visited by thousands of tourists and local people each year. 

The people of Saint Francis are very prayerful and true to their Catholic devotions and saints giving them honor throughout the year. There is daily Adoration to the Blessed Sacrament in the Chapel, which is visited frequently by many parishioners and visitors. The Rosary, Prayers of the Apostolate Group and the Sacred Heart Society are all a part of the piety of the parish. 

There are many opportunities in which one can be involved in the ministries of St. Francis of Assisi. The Knights of Columbus and the Social Ministry Committee bring help to the less fortunate of the parish and community at large. There is also the homebound Ministry, CYO, Parish Boys' Club and Girls' Club, ministries in helping with the Liturgy and Mass as an Altar Server, Sacristan, Lector, Eucharistic Minister and singing in the choir are all God's gift to share.

 

September 2005